Healthy Foods For Healthy Smiles
It bears repeating often—which is why we repeat it often—that flossing, brushing twice a day, and regular dental checkups are essential to good oral hygiene. Did you know your diet plays an important role, too? Check out the list below. These are regular, everyday foods that you probably already have at home. If not—do your smile a favor and stock up!
- Cheese and yogurt contain casein protein, which helps fortify the tooth’s surface. They are also a great source of calcium, which helps protect against tooth decay.
- Cucumbers help increase saliva and will serve to neutralize the acid and base in the oral cavity.
- Apples are loaded with vitamins and minerals that help keep teeth healthy. Biting into an apple also increases saliva flow, which helps reduce plaque buildup.
- Leafy Greens are rich in folic acid, which support cell growth and regeneration.
- Ginger is an anti-inflammatory, which can help with minor infections, swelling and discomfort associated with minor toothaches.
- Carrots and celery, in addition to being full of vitamins, both require lots of chewing, which stimulates saliva production and help naturally cleanse teeth.
- Strawberries contain malic acid which can serve as a natural tooth whitener
- Sesame Seeds are rich in calcium, which helps strengthen tooth enamel