Healthier Lunches for Picky Eaters
Sandwiches and Snacks that are tooth-friendly and tummy-filling
Yes, it’s possible: terrific tasting snacks and sandwiches that are actually both tooth-friendly and tummy-filling. Here are some of our favorites to make your kid’s lunchbox the envy of everyone in the school cafeteria! Bonus points worth noting for busy parents of picky kids—they’re not just healthy lunches. They’re quick, easy and awesome!
NUTS FOR BUTTER SANDWICH
The classic PB&J gets an upgrade with everything you need to completely customize it to your family’s liking. A combination of celery, seeds and fruit help clean your teeth and massage your gums. The celery even neutralizes bacteria that aids in bacteria growth, and the yogurt helps prevent tooth decay.
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 1 ¼ cup of your favorite berries or fruits (strawberries, blackberries, raspberries blueberries, chopped pears or apples)
- 2 tablespoons small diced celery
- A sprinkle of sunflower seeds
- 1/2 banana thinly chopped
- 2 tablespoons yogurt
1 tablespoon agave or honey
KID TIME TRAIL MIX
A snack for the ages, this yummy trail mix has been around for decades and continues to delight. It doesn’t hurt that many nuts offer vitamins and minerals that help your teeth, such as peanuts (calcium and vitamin D), almonds (high levels of calcium that helps both teeth and gums), cashews (stimulates saliva and helps clean teeth).
1 cup Cheerios toasted oat cereal
1 cup goldfish crackers or other cheese crackers
1 cup cherry-flavored dried fruit
- 1 cup favorite nuts (although be aware of children’s potential allergy to peanuts)
- 1 cup miniature chocolate chips
1 cup miniature pretzels
- Throw everything together in a sealed container.
Store in cool, dry area (to prevent melting of chocolate candies/chips and other soft ingredients).
NOT SO PLAIN OLE’ FRUIT & BUTTER SANDWICH
This recipe has all the makings of a favorite winner in your household. It even has the same basic ingredients, but is slimmed down just a tad, so it’s a great option that may appeal to more in your household. Again, fruit does the job in keeping down plaque and providing you with your daily vitamins. And nut butter is also high in calcium and iron, which are important for keeping your teeth and bones strong and healthy.
- 2 slices whole wheat bread (toasted if preferred)
- 8 teaspoons almond or cashew butter
- A handful of your favorite fruits (strawberries, blackberries,
- raspberries, blueberries, chopped pears or apples)
SWEET & NUTTY MADE JUST RIGHT SANDWICH
This sandwich version is great for lowering cholesterol (thanks to granola) and for your heart (with omega-3 from the nut butter) and for your immune system (with the anti-inflammatory properties of agave).
- 2 slices whole wheat bread (toasted if you prefer warm)
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 1/4 cup chopped apple and banana
- 2 tablespoons granola
1 tablespoon agave
ANTS ON A LOG
They may be new to some, but this tasty combination has been tickling kids’ taste buds for more than 40 years. Some say the secret to getting kids to eat vegetables is all in the presentation. In this case, as noted earlier, the celery also helps clean teeth, massage gums and neutralize bacteria that aids in bacteria growth.
- 8 celery ribs, each cut into 3 pieces (3 to 4 inches each)
- 8 ounces cream cheese spread
1⁄2 cup raisins or 1⁄2 cup yogurt covered raisins
- Fill celery with cream cheese spread and smooth with knife.
Add a row of raisins for the “ants”.