Sweet Facts about Halloween
With Halloween around the corner, we’ve gathered some interesting facts for you.
- More than 35 million pounds of candy corn will be produced this year; equating to nearly 9 billion pieces — enough to circle the moon 4 times if laid end-to-end.
- Candy accounts for only 6% of the added sugar in the American diet. Soft drinks and juice account for 46%.
- More than 93% of children go trick-or-treating each year
- Chocolate is better for your teeth than hard candy. It rinses more easily from the mouth by saliva, leaving it in contact with teeth for a shorter time. Chocolate also contains tannins, which inhibit the action of cavity-causing bacteria.
- Americans over 18 years old consume 65% of all candy produced each year.
- During the week beginning Halloween night, we will eat about five percent of the candy we will eat all year.
- 30% of children sort their candy when they get home from trick-or-treating